Old Dirt – New Thoughts

October 17, 2007

Digging with 6th Graders

Filed under: Fieldwork,Hamline History @ 9:09 am and

Hancock 6th Graders at the Hamline Methodist Church siteOne of last week’s highlights was being joined in our excavation by some fifty 6th graders from Hancock Elementary school. It was a great experience to work side by side with such enthusiastic kids. As expected, we found some nails, ceramics, clinker, bricks, and lots of worms.

Screening dirtdsc02812_25.jpg

The only glitch in the entire day was when we lost Rayna. I never did get the entire story, but apparently one of the teacher’s aides thought Rayna was a 6th grader andRayna showing her happiness upon her return made her go back to Hancock with the rest of the class. We eventually straightened out the mix-up and had Rayna returned to us. To avoid similar problems in the future, we’re asking Rayna to carry some form of ID whenever we have young kids on the site.

Rayna happy to return to our class

2 Comments »

1.   Rayna — October 25, 2007 @ 3:16 pm    

Completely untrue. Well, at least the part about going back to Hancock! Luckily Caleb pointed out I was definitely not part of the sixth grade class before their teacher did anything drastic. Close call, let me tell you…

2.   Brian — October 25, 2007 @ 4:28 pm    

Well I’m glad to hear you were saved by Caleb. He’s been a hero to us all.

RSS feed for comments on this post.